Sunday, April 20, 2008

How Biology Relates to Knitting

and other ways to justify my degree. Well not other ways. But this is interesting. I found a blog that has the best demonstration of Z and S twist in spun yarns. Go here, she has an awesome picture and everything.

I had been having trouble remembering the difference between Z and S twist in yarns. I have finally figured out why. Z-DNA is a left handed helix. It goes the opposite direction that a Z twist yarn would have. So now I just have to remember that Z twist yarn is the opposite of Z-DNA that I spent 4 years learning (well it was probably just covered in one lecture but still)

And she even has information about that sort of twist knitting vs. crocheting add to a yarn. Good to keep in mind when spinning for a particular project. Especially a single. Would hate to have my yarn fall apart in the middle of a project.

1 comment:

crystal said...

well, isn't that interesting! What a great explanation!