It is 1:30 am here on the East coast. I am unfortunately still awake trying to force myself into an uber stage of sleepiness so I can actually fall asleep. I am convinced this conference will be the death of me. Most of the reason I can't sleep is because I roll over every 5-10 minutes to write something that needs done that I just remembered on the post it note pad that I have taken to setting beside the bed. At least this way constructive things will come out of my not sleeping and if I write it down it is one less thing I have to worry about remembering. Any way, time for fun things?
Wednesday was a fun lunch time. The local SCA group Shire of Port Oasis was taking part in a Renaissance Faire on campus. Grace was there in her viking garb demonstrating how to spin on a spindle. I decided to head over there to hang out for lunch. I got to spin some, teach some others how to spin, play on her wheel, get a nice sunburn. Seriously, my maiden name is McCrady. I should know not to sit in direct sunlight for more than 10 minutes without sunscreen. 20 if I am. How long did I stay out? Oh about an hour and a half. So I have a nice red ring around my neck on my left side. The left side of my face is a bit pink and my left ear is red. You can also tell where my hair was parted. I should just carry around a parasol whenever I am going to be outside. Oh well, all in the name of spinning and teaching others. I really need to collect my faire costumes from my Dad's place and join SCA. I have a freakin' wardrobe of outfits.
Have I mentioned Zach said I could get a spinning wheel? I can use part of that economic incentive thingy. I have it narrowed down to two wheels (new).
First is the Ashford Kiwi- It is a castle style wheel with a double treadle (my two requirements). It has two ratios. Comes with three bobbins and a lazy kate. The Yarn and More over in Ashland, KY actually sells Ashfords and I could buy it from her. Support my LYS and all. I would by it unfinished (it is an extra $100 to get it lacquered) and finish it myself. It will be about $300 dollars, plus a Niddy Noddy ($15) and any extra bobbins I want to get. But being able to buy local means if I have problems I can get them fixed local.
Second is the Babe Production wheel- Not really your traditional looking wheel. But it is castle style and can be a double treadle. It is $239, plus $10 for a niddy noddy. It comes with 6 bobbins in three different ratios. I've used a single treadle Babe and liked it. The treadle moved a bit and the wheel has a bit of vibration to it.
So I am torn. Part of me really wants the traditional looking, wooden spinning wheel. But the frugal side of my brain is going "the babe is $60 cheaper. Imagine all the starter roving you could get for that". Mitzi, the head of the fiber guild, has a Kiwi. I think this will all come down to how that wheel feels when I get to try it. The extra $60 won't mean a thing if I fall in love with it.
I have been tormenting my husband, friends and knitting group with this dilemma so I thought I would share with everyone else too. Well, it is now 2 am and I should try sleeping again. I think I am sleepier. Who knows? I might be back down here in 20 minutes getting some knitting done. I did finish my SIL's birthday present tonight and need to remember to take pics before I wrap it. And the yarn I made at the Fiber Fiesta is getting made into a shawl. The Sunday market shawl to be exact. I will let you all know how it goes. Maybe a row or two before I head back upstairs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Nadine--
Have you made a Sunday Market shawl (or anything with the on-purpose dropped stitch) before?? I am scared to do that--I think I'll have to try it on a swatch first!
LMK,
grace :)
I have not made one before. And I wasn't scared until now. I guess I'll just have to be extra careful I'm dropping the right stitch. Now I'm all paranoid.
Post a Comment