We had another Ravelry meet up at East Tenampa on Thursday. Good fun was had by all. I have a picture, thankfully, from Aimee because I totally left my camera at work and did the same thing this weekend. Thank goodness there was nothing I needed to take pics of. Well, except for yesterday when I woke up. I came downstairs and saw Heidi and Ashes sharing the same couch cushion. Shocking!!! Of course neither of them stayed still long enough for me to even think of looking for my camera. According to Zach, they do that all the time. **looks sceptical** 
My Swap partner got her package so I can post some pictures. She has more pictures up on her blog. Yay. She liked it. Very excited. I think it will be the last swap I do for a bit. I am going to be super busy at work until mid-May at which point I hope to escape work for some fun in the Florida sun.
This week especially is going to be so hectic.
Hmmm...I've been debating about posting about this all day pretty much. Well I'll provide a warning. It is about feminine hygiene products. If you aren't interested, I won't make you read it. But if you are, If you highlight the text between the little stars, you'll be able to read what I wrote. I know some people are squeamish about this sort of thing or just really don't want to know that much about me.
** So I've been thinking for a while about switching to cloth pads. I had seen a few things on Craftster. Actually I was quite disturbed by the crocheted tampon. I think that put me off the idea for a while. I'm not sure why it popped back into my head. Well, it could have been because I started that time of the month. So I went a searching and I found this. This company actually makes and sells cloth pads. 6 of them for $40.00. **blink blink** That is yarn money people. Luckily these nice people also have a pattern on their website. So I run down to the basement to see what I have wasting away in my fabric stash. Oh yes, I have one of those too. And a scrapbook stash. I digress. I have cotten flannel, oh and look at that, I even have cotton batting too. So I dragged out the sewing machine and whipped myself up a couple. And I have to say I am hooked. They are very comfy. Even without wings or sticky stuff, they stayed in place very very well. Fabric against fabric=no movement. They were softer, less diaper like than their plastic cousins. I somehow missed the note that I should soak them in cold water to prevent staining. Oh well. The only problems I had were a bit of leakage around the sides. The ones I made turned out much shorter than I meant to and I didn't put wings on them since I didn't have any fasteners. I think I am going to make another set that are longer and see about adding wings. But I am very impressed. And they seem to have made it through a regular wash cycle. "But Nadine, what if you have to change them in public?" I bought myself a little black vinyl zippered pouch to keep a clean one in and to put the used one in when I change. These suckers are very absorbant and was able to go all day without a change without having that "wet diaper" feel. So even on my heaviest days, I don't see there being a need to change more than once. And I'm helping to reduce trash. Although I think I kinda freaked out Zach when I started making them. **


2 comments:
I'm impressed! I applaud your foray into homemade "supplies" - The natural cotton store-bought stuff is expensive but I notice a difference. You're on to something. Wish I had a sewing machine.
Hey, I've been using them for some time now and I'll NEVER go back! BTW, I use a safety pin. I've used the same pin for going on a year now and it's never once come loose. No worries. Did you know there is a reusable forum on Ravelry? Check it out. MEGA informative stuff there!
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/period-pieces
Post a Comment