Monday, March 17, 2008

Sock Blockers and Disembodied Heads

So since I seem to have actually committed to maintaining this blog and taking better pictures of stuff I make, I figured I would use a couple tools to help me out. First, a sock blocker. Well, I have determined that not many actually block socks unless they are gifts, and I am so not to that point yet. I just want to take nice pictures. I didn't feel like spending 15-20 dollars on something I would be using to take pictures of my socks. So I turned to the internet to find free/cheap alternatives. Of course I found a couple. I personally went with the bent wire hanger. 98% because I had one sitting in the living room when I decided to do this and 2% I could hang it on the wall beside my looms. Another option here.


See how much better this sock looks on a blocker. You can actually see the cabling in it. This is from Isela Phelps Learn to Knit Cables on Looms booklet, which I reviewed earlier in this blog.


Oh and ignore the cat. I am trying to use more natural light and she was in my normal picture taking spot by the porch door. She wouldn't move and I was running late for work. So the obligatory "cat in knitting blog" picture. I think I have to maintain a certain number of those to be able to say this is a knitting blog.

Everyone, say hello to Gigi. She looks like a Gigi doesn't she. So I've been wanting a styrofoam head for a while because I can't take pictures of hats on myself. The pictures look like crap because I'm either in the bathroom in crappy lighting but I can use the mirror to line up the shot, or I am in the living room in better light but you can't see half the hat because I can't aim. Oh and God forbid there is some cool detail on the back that I have to show you, cause you wouldn't get to see it. Or you would but it would be lying shapeless in a puddle as I took the picture of it. But who wants to pay $10 shipping on a $5 head. So I've never gotten one. Well, after reading Lesley's blog she went to the wig store. The one at the mall, 5 MINUTES from my house. **blank stare** I am special. In fact at the meetup they say Sally's Beauty supply might have them. Well holy crap that is about 3 minutes from my house and right next to AC Moore. A place to which Dana and I were going right after the meetup. So I got Gigi. Well, not really. I got a styrofoam head that freaked out Dana. So I decided she needed a little style help. I think she looks lovely.

Oh yeah, she is working that hat.

2 comments:

Haley said...

My but you are a clever wench! I shall be roguing your ideas before long.

Anonymous said...

Gigi is beautiful! I was thinking about doing that to my "head" but wasn't sure what kind of paint to use. So ... what did you use?

Also, here's a link you need to check out ... several free sock patterns from a blogger who has some awesome ones! http://spillyjane.blogspot.com/

Lesley