We have acquired a copy of Wii Fit for the Wii. The purpose of this is that Zach said if we both use it for two months, we can get Rock Band. Sweet. That is a motivational goal I can use.
Let me tell you a bit about the game. It comes with a board that looks a lot like an aerobic step board. This is very handy considering that is so far my favorite exercise. Yes, this is a game where you exercise. There are four training modules. Yoga, Strength, Aerobic, and Balance. As you exercise more you get Fit Credits, these unlock more of the exercises and you also get advanced versions of them. You also earn points either for how well balanced you were or how many reps you did. So you can work to beat your best record. You check in every day you work out and the board weighs you, measures your BMI and then tests your balance and calculates your Wii Fit age. There is a calendar that you stamp when you finish. Of course your weight fluctuates with time of day, certain times of the month so I'm not a huge fan of getting weighed every day. But it is a nice measure.
I love this game. Today was day 4. And although I have developed somewhat of a routine, it changes depending on what new exercises I unlock (I nearly put games). I start out with 10-15 minutes of aerobic step. I unlocked the free step which is 10 minutes of step, but the wiimote ticks like a metronome to help you keep rhythm and lets you know how much time you have left. This way you can change the channel and watch tv for a bit. Very fun. And today I got rhythm boxing. It uses the wiimote and nunchuck to measure your punches and the board measures your steps. This will be added to the aerobic portion of the workout. Then I do about 5-10 minutes of the fun balance games. You use your body to control the character on screen to do things like ski and snowboard. Then I do a combination of yoga and strength moves for my remaining time. I pick my favorite yoga poses and the game tells me which strength moves to combine with it to keep my workout balanced.
So why do I love this game so much? Like I said it was day 4. I finished my "required" 30 minutes and wanted to keep going. I did an extra 10. Because it was fun. I don't think I've ever done an exercise where I wasn't counting the seconds until my time was up.
But the biggest thing was today. I'm a pretty big girl. I'm not the most flexible or athletic. But today during the sun salutation yoga pose I touched my toes!!! I about fell of the board out of shock. And it wasn't an unhealthy "I pushed and touched them for a second" bounce things. I was able to stay down there and play with my feet. I was enthralled. In fact, I just tried again (to make sure it wasn't some sort of fluke) and I can still do it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment