
So I have never used wool to knit or crochet anything. I had always been worried that I wouldn't be able to wear what I made since my skin is sensitive. I don't break out, but I get all red and splotchy and wool is really itchy to me. But I thought maybe I could try felting to add embellishments to items with a bit of a softer touch. So I used a coupon and bought some wool (I feel better using a coupon on something I'm not sure I'm gonna like). Well let me back up a step or two. While looking at how to felt wool, I found articles about dying wool with Kool-aid. It seemed easy. When I was out buying the wool, I couldn't figure out what color to get, especially since I didn't know how it was going to work out. I remembered the Kool-aid dying technique and decided to get a skein of white and some Kool-aid and make it whatever color I wanted. The pictures above are my attempts. The little ball of pink-ish wool was dyed with Black Cherry. The green, white and pink striped was done with two bowls, one with Lemon-Lime and one with Black Cherry. I was hoping it would be more Christmasy, but it turned out very bright. I like it. The blue was done with Berry Blue. A fantastic color. And the purple-pink concoction was done by handpainting Grape and Pink Lemonade in a pinwheel fashion. The Grape was a bit strong and bled into the Pink Lemonade, but it turned out very tye-dyed looking. Now I just have to figure out what to use all this yarn for. I crocheted up a small flower with the Black Cherry. I am gonna felt it tonight and see how it works.
Articles I am using on this quest:
http://tinyurl.com/3565nv The PDF from Knitpicks.com about hand felting
http://tinyurl.com/hzep9 Knitty.com article on Kool-aid dying


No comments:
Post a Comment