Wednesday, September 3, 2008

swaps

I do enjoy a good craft swap. I just signed up for a HP swap on my yahoo group. It is a transfiguration swap and I have to turn an altoids mint tin into something else. It is going to be kind of interesting. I'm thinking maybe a miniature potions kit or wand care kit.

But it got me looking around for another swap to join since the HP swap is pretty small. I haven't found one I like yet, but I got kind of a fun idea for a swap. I haven't really thought it out much, just an idea. An afghan group swap, where by the end of it, you had enough squares to make an afghan/lapghan. Say there were 12 members in the group. By the end of the swap, each person would need to make 12 squares (knit crochet whatever as long as they were the right size). You keep one square for yourself and send out the other 11, one to each other group member. Therefore you would be receiving 11 squares to put together. A random combination of colors (or if the group could agree on a color scheme that would work too), all different patterns. You wouldn't have to make the same pattern 12 times or you could so that everyone would know which one was your square. It would be like the ultimate crafting community warm snuggly hug. The squares could be mailed in an envelope to cut down on mailing costs. I imagine it would end up being a bit of a time committment kind of swap. Like three months probably. Or if you did 16 members do 4 months so that is one square per week. A 9 inch square would produce a 3x3 foot afghan. What is a normal afghan size?

You can ignore this part, I am going to do some brainstorming since I'm not near my notebook.
-maybe make it a continous circle swap for as long as people want to do it. 1-2 squares per month. A sends to B, B sends to C, C sends to D. If C decides to drop out at some point, B begins sending to D and closes the circle. Problem though, it wouldn't really be a community blanket. I would have to randomize the order of the circle each cycle. But it would allow someone to stick with it until they have like a queen size blanket or they can drop out after making a lapghan.
-yarn requirements: not everyone is ok with acrylic, but not everyone can afford/wants to wash wool. Maybe acrylic/superwash wool/washable wool blend. 100% sure it is washable. If someone is allergic to wool, it can be a note by their name so when someone receives their person, they will not immediately any allergies. Pet allergies could be an issue too. Keep pets off of the squares and washing might take care of it.
-color: make people suck it up. I think it would be awesome to have a blend of colors
-patterns: People can make the same square over and over or make different ones each time.
-size of squares: ? but would need to be actual squares so there is no issue with putting it together
-type of stitching: I think as long as they fit the size requirement, it shouldn't be a problem.
-the last week of a cycle is the sign-up/drop-out period of the next cycle.
-need a couple of willing angels for flakes. Can be participants if they think they are up to it.
-Would need to join Ravelry group and be active at least once a week on the group or their blog
-have stickied/locked threads with swapping partner info. One for each cycle that is then archived when it is two cycles old.
-thread to post updates and share squares. Only use the share projects to share squares.
-sign up and drop out by post on thread by date and set time. Make a new one for each cycle, then archive.
-I want to say a 1 month cycle because I don't think I could create and mail squares any faster. But I think I would want a blanket faster than that. :)
-extra items are optional and members are not to expect them even if they send them.

1 comment:

Haley said...

I am defnitely interested. This would be an excellent way to try out those stitch dictionaries I bought. :)