Thursday, September 11, 2008

A small distraction

I figure the best way to keep myself faithful to the sweater is to distract myself every now and then. So I did a bit of needle felting yesterday. I made the fronts to a bunch of cases, and finished a couple that had been sitting around. These are some of the designs that I came up with.


















I took them to SnB and did some market research. The girls came up with some great ideas. I think I'll be offering a whole line of needle cases. From small sewing needle cases, crochet hook cases made from the small sheets of felt, the DPN case, straight needle cases, and as of yesterday a circular needle case. They gave me some construction thoughts and ideas about how to tie them closed (which was becoming my biggest problem). Even some fun new design ideas.









Tiffany and I talked about my relationship with projects. Often I am the love 'em and leave 'em type. I become quickly enamored with a project. I get all wrapped up in it and work on it constantly for a couple days. Then I see another project and I stray. I leave my old project alone, in pieces, with the rest of my old projects. I begin the whole process over again. Every now and again I dig into my little black basket (it is actually blue but it doesn't work with the theme I'm going with here) and pull out a project to fall in love with all over again. That is the only way they ever get a bit more love.

So this time I am cheating to stay faithful. If that makes any sense. I dabble in little side projects so I don't get bored. A little needle felting, A small cell phone holder, little things. If I can't take the rows of stockinette, I grab something from the WIP basket and do a couple rows on it. But I have to say, this doesn't feel like the same sort of whirlwind romance I have with projects. I camly approached the project slowly. I warmed up to it and became comfortable with it. I am committed. I will finish this sweater. I am in it for the long haul. I was able to look past its 8 inch section of 115 stitches of stockinette. In fact, I have made it to the lace pattern.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud!! :)

When I first started this obsession, I really thought that's how I would be with projects. But it turns out...I'm not so much. Surprised the heck outta me.

goodnessgraciousWV said...

oooh, Nadine! I don't use needle cases, but that sheepy one is sooooo cute!!

And I'm also impressed by the crocheted socks.

Nice to see you Monday at Guild. If I had the time, I would come to the SnB to see all you guys and gab, but it doesn't fit into my schedule!