Friday, January 9, 2009

Over the past weekend we had our River Cities Fiber Clan Christmas party. It was so much fun. We had a couple of swaps and ate a lot of good food. I brought my SIL, Lauren. And as you can see from the picture, she was quite inspired by all the ladies there and wanted to learn how to spin. So she got sent home with a drop spindle and some roving. I can't wait to see how it will turn out. I said I would come visit when she needs to ply it.


They also brought their puppies Cain and Lucy with them. It is surprisingly fun having a couple extra dogs running around the house. Heidi and Lucy wrestle the whole time. Our neighbors probably thought we had some sort of dog fighting event going on. Cain just sits around being grumpy. Or looking at us like "Really? I need this hat on my head why?" He got a treat out of it, he can't complain too much.








I got some good stuff at the swaps. I got a cookbook as my kitchen item. Some very yummy recipes in there. And I got about 700 yards of heavy worsted/bulky weight blue wool yarn. I have no idea what to do with it. I also got some flax fiber to spin. That will be a fun adventure. I can't wait to try it.

I've also been working hard and not just playing hard. I finished both My So-Called Scarf out of Malabrigo and my Fleecy Felted Slippers. I love the needle felted sheep on the slippers. I think I am going to trim the cuffs a bit to make them less pointy. I am going to have to think about how to do that in the pattern. I think if I bind off the edge as I am working. Although I need to get a move on that pattern.








I also had an idea to add to my spinning wheel accessories. I figure since my wheel is made of pvc pipe, I can make all my extra stuff out of pvc pipe too. I needed to make a lazy kate that holds more than 2 bobbins because I want to do a 3 ply with my next yarn. And I decided that I wanted it to be tensioned to make the plying easier. Well, ta dah!
I think I am going to try to work up a tutorial for how I put it together

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The puppies are great! lol They're both so adorable. The one on the left has a huge nose! What cuties.

I'm so envious of reading your blog and seeing what goes on at the Fiber Guild meetings. I really want to become a member.

My So-Called Scarf is pretty. I've made a few of them. Great pattern. The felted slippers are so cute! I love the little lambs. I need to learn to needle felt. Did you felt the slippers the "normal" way, i.e. the washing machine?

Have a great weekend,
Lesley Ann

Deeners said...

They are adorable. Very snuggly and loving. And they normally play well with my puppy.

We need to get you to a guild meeting some time. That is pretty much all you have to do to join. I could give you a ride sometime if you would like. And if you give me enough warning, I can let the ladies know we will have a new person and we could make sure to have some training stuff there.

I did put them in the washing machine. Another reason for you to come to a guild meeting, I think this month I am bringing all my needle felting stuff to show some of the ladies how to do it.