Friday, January 23, 2009

A bit slow on the update

Sorry about that. It has been cold and yucky and without sunshine my pictures look awful. It is finally sunny here, but that means there are no clouds so it is freakin' cold. Like it was zero degrees when I left the house this morning. I don't think our thermometer takes wind chill into account either. And I've been working on the final touches of my loom knit slipper pattern. I finally just had to stop reading it or I would make myself crazy.

But I have been doing stuff. I've been doing a lot of buying, which after Christmas is probably not the smartest idea. But I maintain, that as long as we don't go hungry or forego paying a bill for me to buy stuff, I am ok.

-Michael's had their Patons Kroy sock yarn on sale so I got enough for two pairs for $10. Woot.

-I blame my mom for the next bit. I was visiting and we were driving along and she mentioned seeing a store that had "knit" in the name. Well there was so I bought some Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light in redwood and peat. Very decently priced for alpaca sock yarn. About $10 per skein for 440 yards.

-And then Michael's had another sale. This time 70% off of their Soy Wool Stripes yarn. Well I decided it would be the pefect opportunity to start a project considering the regularly $5.99 yarn was $1.80. Oh yeah.
-And last night, Aimee and I did our first Etsy Stalk. Essentially a product is released at a certain time and in a limited number. So you have to sit on the Etsy page and hit refresh until it shows up and buy it super fast. Well, we were stalking the Phat Fiber boxes. There aren't any listed anymore, but the blog that talks about them is here. Essentially they are huge sample boxes of Etsy seller samples. We didn't realize there were two different kinds, so Aimee got the yarn and fiber box and I got the all yarn box. It will be cool though because we can compare and I know we are both open to trading.

-And I didn't buy it, but I got a Christmas present from Aimee. Roving!!! Squee!!! The best part is I was totally there when it was being dyed and I had no idea. I am really excited about it because I was totally drooling over it at our dye party. The base is a natural light brown roving so the colors just turn out so much deeper and richer. Love!!!

I haven' t just been buying things, I also have been making things. Some of which might even get posted as a pattern.
I started the Fawkes socks in my rusty Ranco Solid yarn. And I can finally work on them again because Haley rescued me from only having 4 metal DPN's and needing 5 so I had to use a stupid blunt, grippy bamboo one. Unfortunatly she gave me a Knit Picks Harmony DPN, I sense I might have to make a purchase there once we have our tax return. But it is only fair, I did show her how to use the drop spindle she got for Christmas.

I also needle felted a little bunny alien thing based on an adorable picture Haley drew. Love it. I need to sort through my needle felting stuff. The ladies in my fiber clan want me to teach them how to do it at the next meeting. I should probably get some stuff together for that.

I started the Ithacowl and was having fun working on it, but my attentions has been sucked over to my SWS Striped Scarf. Actually called the Noro Striped Scarf, but I know there is so way I would ever be able to wear Noro, but hopefully the SWS will soften up enough when washed so that I can wear it

I also designed a hat based on the last hat Norah Jones wears in the move My Blueberry Nights. It is actually the one she is wearing on the movie poster. Unfortunately, apparently those style hats look stupid on me. But you all get the benefit of me writing up the pattern for you. I love Norah Jones, love love love so this hat is an homage to her.


I also made some art yarn out of some Surprise Baby Batts I got from Loop. I had this idea that it would look like the ocean and beach with sea shells. It is also possible the fiber fumes got to me and I am hallucinating. But other people (non-fiber people) have said they can see the influence too.

One last thing. I made this for the fiber clan Christmas party and had so many requests for the recipe, I thought I would put it up here. I actually got the recipe from our former roommate Steven's mom. It is delicious and easy and awesome. So I share
The Best Cheeseball I've Ever Eaten:
2 8 oz packages of cream cheese, softened
1 8 oz block of sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 Tbsp of onion, mashed into a paste
1 clove of garlic, mashed into a paste
2 Tbsp of worchestershire sauce
Ok, so the onion and garlic, I mince them very fine and then on my cutting board with a big flat bladed knife I start to smoosh them. I add about a tsp of kosher salt (big and grainy salt is the best) and press down with the flat side of my blade, edge away from me. Then I move the knife towards me (edge still away). Keep working until the onions and garlic are a fine paste. You do not cook them so finding a huge chunk of raw garlic might not be so plesant. Once that is done, just mix everything together. It tastes better after it has sat in the fridge overnight. Serve with crackers. I also recommend grating the cheese yourself. It is softer and blends better into the cream cheese. Pre-grated cheese ends up being little hard lumps. So it is worth it to grate it yourself.

No comments: