Friday, December 14, 2007

Update of Epic Proportions

Nah, not really. But I really should update more often so I don't end up with super long posts. Last weeked was Hannukah with my Dad and that side of the family. I had lots of fun. Got lots of silly little presents. Got a scarf done for which I promptly stole some buttons from my Grandma. Although she is probably going to end up with this scarf so technically I just borrowed them. Right?

Used some lovely wool from Knit 'n Hook. **digs around for label** Well I don't remember what it is. But click on the picture for more detail. The yarn gets thicker and thinner throughout leading to a cool look. It is very warm, but wool makes my skin turn itchy and bright red (thankfully not my hands) so it will be gifted.

Speaking of gifts. Remember these lovely slippers. Well my dad and Donna took me to Crafts 2000 in Parkersburg and told me to get whatever I wanted. Very dangerous proposition. But I restrained myself (sort of) and got the supplies to begin needle felting. Since the only thing I had felted were these slippers, they got the brunt of my beginner hands. I think they turned out cute. Next is a bag. Blue with some green blueish brown roving. Not sure of the design. Might just wing it. The pattern I am using is loosely based off of a design from:

Everyone ooo and ah. My first knitting book. I chose this one because 1. not on my wish list 2. I am a member of a Stitch 'n Bitch 3. I wanted a minimal begginner/more intermediate book with lots of patterns but still some explanation.

This one has turned out to be perfect. I hate beginner books. I (beware of EGO ahead) catch on pretty quick. So I move through the beginner stages of most crafts during my first project. After that, I want something that will challenge me and more importantly, keep my attention. But I don't want it to be frustrating i.e. I am running between my beginner "how to knit" guide and the internet trying to figure out a stitch. This book has that and more. Each pattern that uses a special stitch explains that stitch in the beginning of the pattern. There is even a glossary that shows all the basic stitches (knit, purl, cast on, bind off, etc). Also I loooooove the patterns. No stodgy old scarves for me. It gives me cute and hip bags, scarves, hats, sweaters, everything. And in the beginning of the book is a long section on how to adapt patterns to make them my own and to fit me like they should. So this book will have me covered from beginner, to intermediate (some playful stitches), to advanced (where I severely alter/design my own patterns). Oh that and I had a 30% off Borders coupon and just needed to spend a bit to get my Border's Bucks.

Have I mentioned yet that I am becoming obsessed with Amigurumi? No? Well I am. Here is proof. Not content to follow patterns, I must make my own. But didn't she turn out cute? Except the eyes. I hate her eyes. I am thinking I will use felt next time. Heidi likes her too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog.