Thursday, May 13, 2010

A shiny, not-so-new spinning wheel

So I went to Parkersburg several weekends ago and look what I came home with!

My dad dug it out of my grandpa's garage attic. It was a little dirty and needed some TLC. But I have washed it down with Murphy's soap and have rubbed it with Boiled Linseed Oil a couple of times and she shines. Now she is missing a footman and the entire Maiden of All setup. And the wheel that is actually on her has several cracks in the wood. And the wheel on the ground that is in pieces is in pieces because this: Was the center piece. I have glued it together and I am going to see if I can put that wheel back together. It won't really be an easy fix. And I don't think it will ever be my main wheel. But it would be nice to have something I could take to our historic recreation stuff. And a Footman is relatively easy to replace (stick with hole on one end and leather strap on the other). And Ashford sells flyer units to convert their wheels to double drive. I thought I might try and look around for someone who is converting to double drive and wants to sell what would now be their leftover single drive unit. But it is more of a someday, I might do it.
For now, the wheel makes a very nice model. Don't you think? That is a Mobius wrap I knit from my handspun that I spun for the Fiber Olympics. It has gotten a bit warm to wear something that is so think and smooshy and woolen. But I look foward to getting to wear it in the winter.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, how I would love to get my hands on one of those wheels!! I went to my LYS to watch spinning and now I am so interested...love the mobius by the way!

Kate said...

I want to learn how to spin, but really do I need another hobby?

I love the mobius on the wheel.

Anna said...

How pretty. Found you off Ravelry- We have projects in common. I brought a wheel hm from my inlaws Christmas break and mine is missing what you call a foot man and the whole flyer unit needs help. Its in bits and pieces. I am glad to see you can purchase parts to possibly use the old girls......

Deeners said...

Kate, spinning starts out as a pretty decently priced hobby, but it gets out of hand. And my yarn stash was already out of control, but now I can make my own yarn. And the fiber stash is quickly getting out of hand. Did that help talk you out of it? :)

Anna, there is an antique wheel restoration group on Ravelry. They have lots of information about fixing them up.