Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Shiny New Crochet Hooks

So I was reading a lovely website called Petite Purls the other day. Not for me, I just feel it is time Julia got a little something for her 6 month anniversary of being so darn cute. Well, they were having a contest on the blog to giveaway some crochet hooks I had been lusting over, a super adorable bag, and some other goodies. Well I entered and I won. Freakout time.

Seriously hardcore had been wanting a set of the Etimo hooks. I love to crochet. But it is the one crafty thing I do that probably is the most painful. I'm convinced my hands are going to fall off when I turn thirty. But I would like to try to avoid that. These hooks seemed like they might help in avoiding the no hands thing. But the price tag.

Well, if I hadn't have won these, they would have been worth every penny. First I will mention that the little pouch they come in is Sparkly!!! It doesn't take much to amuse me. And the pouch itself is great. It folds up nice and small. Keeps all the hooks organized. And it has a little zippered area for stitch markers and yarn needles. Very convienient. And it is sparkly.

So I decided to give these guys a workout. Two most difficult things for me to crochet without some pain are amigurumi (small and tight) and crochet (no give). So I did both.


I had a friend who had been asking her mom for a Katamari for a while. So I thought I would take care of it. It has been a while since I made the last one. It is pretty simple. I forgot how many of those nubby things you have to make. But I made it through. And no wrist pain. Even though I was working very tight with an E hook.

So I tried cotton. I saw this color at AC Moore and the yarn was on sale for $1.10 a ball. I like bright colors. And we had just finished a vintage potholder swap. There were several patterns I wanted to make for myself after I found the ones to make for my partner. So I did. No trouble working with cotton. Even made myself and dish scrubber and a little pad to set my cup on so it wouldn't mess up my pretty cedar chest. And then this guy. Have I ever mentioned how awesome the Java Joint is? Well they are. Although we do try to give back to the owners for letting us take over the back of their resturant once a week. Amber is a huge Star Wars fan and is starting to amass a collection of tiny crocheted Star Wars characters. I had been wanting to make Admiral Ackbar for a while. A very nice Raveler sent me the pattern. And we had the brilliant idea to make a little speech bubble saying "It's a Trap!" Yeah it is pretty awesome.

BTW, I would like to thank Haley for her made embroidery skills. It is not one of my best talents. Hence the reason I am trading my sewing skills for her embroidery skills. I am very excited about my evil squirrel bag.

But the point about this post is Shiny New Crochet hooks= the awesome. The handle is soft, but not squishy. It has a little ridge towards the hook end where my thumb fits perfectly. So I no longer get a dent in my thumb from holding the hook too tight. Oh and the hook shape is like the Boye needles. Which are the pointer ones. The ones I like.

No comments: