So I have decided I need a better way of funding this fiber/knitting/crochet habit of mine. So I've started an
Etsy store. I've added an Etsy Mini over to the right hand side for easy access to the store. Right now I am doing drop spindle, project and notions bags and stitch markers. But I plan to dabble in a bit of all the fiber arts. I want to eventually add spinning batts to the store. But as with most things in life, it is a slow process. I need to sell things and build up some money that will probably be invested right back into stuff for the store. I have found that you can have all the fabric, batting and thread in the world, but not having any zippers makes it very hard to make more bags. Oddly enough.

Example of a project bag.
So to celebrate me finally making good on all those "I'm gonna make these and open an Etsy Store" ideas and schemes, I am having a giveaway. Yay! I will be giving away one of my project bags. It won't be one of the bags in the store, but I will consult with the winner on color preference (and it might be very similar to a bag in the store because I still have most of that fabric, but I have a lot of colors and designs I haven't made yet, you know that zipper problem).
So how this will work-
You will have several ways to get points and each point will get you another entry. At the end of the time frame, I will assign all the entries numbers and use a random number generator to pick.
The ways to get points include:
1. Take a look at the store and leave a message on the blog letting me know what you think. I am working on a banner and getting more items up. Constructive criticism is great, but try not to make me cry :)
2. Twitter about my store or this contest and leave a message with your twitter name on here.
3. Blog about my store or this contest and leave a message with your blog address on here.
Feel free to combine all of your entries into one post if you want. Don't forget to include some way for me to contact you. This contest will run from today 3/26/10 to 4/8/10 at midnight (EST) and the winner will be announced that next day.
Oh and in case you need a link:
http://www.knittingnadine.etsy.com/
46 comments:
Congrats on starting your store. I took a look and liked the design of your project bags. I like that they are on their side and have a nice strap and zipper. Thanks for the drawing. I do not have a blog, so I posted in a Ravelry group about your store and drawing. You should get a Rav PM about that. I hope you would consider it a second entry for me. I am knitterofhats on Ravelry. I am going to follow your blog as Amy. Have fun!
I just found you through WiKnits. Your etsy store is off to a good start - nice bags and pretty stitch markers!
I really like that you include pictures with items for scale, like the yarn and the stitch marker. Makes it much easier to get an instant idea of size.
Good luck with your new shop, and thanks for the contest :)
quinn on rav
I love your pink with black swirls project bag! I think your listing and shipping prices are very reasonable. Good luck with your shop!
Jess
jessecreations on Ravelry
I don't sew at all, and so I really love the Project Bag- Pink With Black Swirls best.
Rav id: foolforknit
And lots of luck with your shop!
I like the pink and green notions bag. good luck with your store. sparky136 on ralvery
First of all - Congratulations on starting a store. It takes a lot to put yourself out there and to make items for others. I applaud your efforts.
I like your little shop and love the project bags...
Keep up the good work.
nhsarab at yahoo dot com
Congrats on the store.
I love your work.
If I had to make a criticism it would be the backgrounds of your photos. They are rather clinical and the reflections give a slightly 'underwater' effect.
Try plain coloured or damask table cloths, a coloured sheet or maybe even a park bench.
The items themselves need no improvement and I am keeping my fingers crossed :0)
I also tweeted
http://twitter.com/EVA_n_essence/status/11099840285
eva.s.black[@]gmail[.]com
Congrats on the new store. I love the spindle bags, esp. the fact that they're quilted for protection.
(InJuneau on Ravelry)
Thank you all for your entries! You have definitely brightened my day.
EVA SB, that is a great idea. It is actually sunny out here today, maybe I will go outside for a bit of a photoshoot. I was being impatient and using my Magyvered light box instead of sunshine
I really love the bad design and shape! Very creative and functional! And they look very sturdy. Good luck with the store!
Love your project and notions bags. I think your prices are good and your "shop" looks good. I agree with the comment above about the sterile setting - perhaps you can at least show one bag in use or on someone's arm for perspective? Good luck with your store!
congrats on getting your store up and running. You'll have fun playing and changing the design as you go. Looks great so far. Love the bags! The fabrics and colors are wonderful. (have you checked out your local goodwill? ours always has bags of zippers in the craft area brand new for pennies!)
i really like the Project Bag in Pink With Black Swirls! I love your shop, your prices are very good I think, and you've got beautiful items for sale!
sadiekate2001 at yahoo.com
I like the pink with black swirls project and the fact it has a zipper to keep everything from falling out. I also like the blue and wooden beads stitch markers.
Knittingdancer on Ravelry
I think you've got the pricing just about perfect! One thing that I've noticed in other Etsy shops that I haven't seen you doing, however, is adding some interest to the background to make the picture look a little more professional.
it looks like you've gotten a good start, the main thing is don't lose your momentum!! keep posting stuff regularly, so as to stay on top of the etsy listings.
good luck!!
-oonaghfibersmyth on ravelry
The shop looks great, and I love your spindle bags, especially the red one.
Lots of luck, and thanks for this contest!
chana on ravelry
You have a great start to your store. I am really looking forward to seeing more of your creations. I sure like the project bags and the blue stitch markers.
Congrats on the start of your store! The bags look great, especially the Project Bag- Pink With Black Swirls. I'd love to win one of those!
Rav id - sylvia410
I just looked at your shop and I love the pink quilted bag.
Congrats - good start!
Off to blog about the contest at:
elaine-knitting.blogspot.com
OK - I just blogged about it here:
http://elaine-knitting.blogspot.com/2010/02/peachy-contest.html
Lots of luck!
Love the project bags! The colours are so vibrant. Interesting shape too!! Good luck with the store.
I really like your project bags. The shape is really great and interesting!
I really like your stuff, very cute! The stitch markers are very pretty and creative!
I like the green and pink argyle bag best, for the colour, and because it's fastened with a tie (?) instead of a zipper. I'd be afraid of my yarn getting caught in the zipper otherwise.
I found you through Wiknit. I have to say I am in love with your bags. I knit and spin. I take them everywhere with me. I have to say I really like your photos. The fact that each style of bag has items shown that could be used in them is a great help to me. I have looked at bags and am always wondering if my spindle or how many balls of yarn are going to fit. Sounds silly but it leaves me unwilling to buy one what if my stuff doesn't fit? The photos really encourage me to try one. I also have to say that argyle notions bag is adorable!
I am lotsofhermies on Ravelry
Congrats on opening the Etsy store! That's definitely something I'm thinking about doing in the future.
I love your project bags. Especially the red Spindle bag - I've just recently realized I need some sort of spindle storage. But everything in the store looks fab! (Sorry I don't have much constructive criticism for you...)
I am kelseymelissa on Ravelry.
I especially love the bag in this post, followed by the pink quilted one.
Good luck with your shop!
rachel-o on Ravelry
Good luck with your shop. I think it looks great
Tami
squiggi on ravelry
I love your little pink and green argyle notions bag. It's so cute! Fun stuff in your store.
Knitmit on rav
i tweeted about the contest too. i'm knitmit on twitter and rav
My favorite item in the store is Pink With Black Swirls which I would LOVE to own. I think I might like the one in the post even better. Of course I'd love one made in purple fabric BEST :-)
Good luck. I love project bags and yours has a really nice shape.
purple on Ravelry
I like the unique designs of your bags. I have to agree with the others about the photos, but as you say, you were rushing to get started. Good luck with your new venture.
I've posted to my blog at
http://kitten-with-a-whiplash.blogspot.com/2010/03/what-do-you-thynk.html
I like that you've got stitch markers that can coordinate with your bags. If I'm buying myself a treat or if I'm putting together a gift for someone, little things like that will make a difference for me. It's easier to make those purchases from one seller instead of having to buy from a second person to get a coordinated package.
I just twittered about your store because it really does have cute stuff :-) jennyjump
I like your store, especially nice job on the close-ups of the stitch markers.
good luck with your sales!!!
LOVE your bags!! Tweeted about this post. Good luck & congrats on oyur new store!!YOur banner will make it perfect!
Shop looks great! Bags are cute and functional and priced to sell. You should do well! I retweeted Miss Julep's tweet!
desrtgardenfarm
I could definitely use the blue paisley drop spindle bag!
I like your store so far - I just favorited it in Etsy. Your merchandise looks high quality and in line with your prices, and I love your fabrics (especially the marbled ones). It's also good that you've already set up categories in the store; a pet peeve is Etsy stores that don't do that. Thanks for letting Ravel-ites know about you!
Forgot to mention - I'm danescot on ravelry
Drop Spindle Bags!!! Fabulous idea, and definitely something I could use...I like your mom too.
Good Luck with your Etsy Shop!
junglygirl on Rav
I really like your bags. And love that you do not only show them with yarn for scale, but also have a photo of it 'in use'. That's so clever. I'm sure your shop will be even more personal and interesting when you get your banner up - can't wait to see it. Good work.
Congratulations on your new shop! With a cool banner, it will look even better.
I love your project bags- great choice on the fabric.
My suggestion: Change your profile picture to something eye-catching. You could give your items catchy names, like "spring meadow" for the bag that is currently called "blue flowers"- I know I am personally attracted to descriptive poetic names.
nupur.kittur AT gmail DOT com
Post a Comment