Monday, March 15, 2010

Weaving a tale

Or a scarf/table runner. Honestly it looks really good on a table, it makes me wish I had a coffee table. (and after my vacation, I do. My FIL made me an awesomely huge cedar chest for Christmas.) But since I had expressed an interest in weaving something for guild, I ended up taking home a rigid heddle loom to play with. Our resident weaver gave me a crash course in what I needed to do. But the internet helped a lot.

So anyway, in order to weave something you have to warp the loom. I'm honestly convinced that weavers either forget how much it sucks to warp a loom or they just don't care. It took forever and nearly killed me and I only did a very small section.

So I finally got that done. I used some yarn I had recycled from a sweater. It probably would have been easier if this yarn had been washed first and wasn't still curly. I was impatient and only had a matter of days to finish. So I started.
There were several things I should have done differently or did wrong. Such as when I had to start a new length of weft. Instead of leaving the ends on the outside, you are supposed to hide them in the weaving as you go and overlap them. I had no idea how to bind off/finish the project so I pieced together what I could to figure it out.
And it is done. And you know what. I want to do it again. Even if I have to warp the loom. I even got a book from the library so I might not be quite so clueless this time. I'm just kind of glad looms are expensive. I know this is a hobby it will take me quite a while to get into.

No comments: