I'm sure you noticed the interesting title. Well that is exactly what I had to do last month. Ann, a lovely lady from my spinning guild, had some beautiful fabric with her at the meeting. She said she made it by drawing with sharpies on the fabric and then dropping/painting/dribbling rubbing alcohol onto it. Inconceivable! So I had to try. I dug out some scraps of white fabric and got to work doodling. I definitely need a better workspace for it. She said she used a sheet of plastic to work on. That would have been a good idea. Oh and this craft requires excellent ventilation. Just imagine the fumes of sharpies and rubbing alcohol. I opened the window quite quickly. I need to play more to try and get some better results, but I think it turned out pretty well.
This was the first thing I tried. It has a lot of color, because I wanted to see what colors I could get from the different markers. Most colors are made up of many other colors and I didn't know how it would break down when the alcohol hit it. So this one was an experiment.
This one turned out pretty well. I think I got the right amount of drawing on the piece. so there wasn't a lot of white space, but everything stayed rather separate. I think this piece is going to be turned into a project bag. Maybe it will end up in the Etsy store.
This last project was fun. I had a piece of sheer material that I had from when I tried to do some wet felting (fail). I had done a small test piece and really liked the way the colors ran. So I had a big piece and decided that I would turn it into a shawl/wrap. I have a couple weddings to go to this spring and now I just need a dress. So I colored on it for a while. But then came the dilemma of the rubbing alcohol. I was working on a pretty small surface and I knew that the alcohol and color would get all over the place. So I moved to the bathtub.


2 comments:
The rubbing alcohol would make me leery about the technique, too.
It looks great
What a cool project! I love your blog....now a follower!
Post a Comment