Thursday, February 7, 2008

Not a lot of FO's

I haven't been finishing much of anything lately. Although, I did write up all the patterns in my notebook so I hope to get them typed up and up on here soon. It is just a matter of making sure I interpreted my notes correctly. And making sure I know how to type stuff up, you know so people can read it. Speaking of which, I've had people who are my Mom or MIL reading my blog and I am so excited. Well, I have a few friends who read too, but some people who comment, I've never met before. Complete strangers find the stuff I say interesting. Craziness! Maybe I'll tell Zach that the next time he complains I talk to much. Which he doesn't, but sometimes making a completely cliched comment just seems to fit. **waves hi to everyone** I'm nice...I do bite...but I try not to bite strangers. I do try to wait at least a year before biting, insulting or being generally abusive to my friends. Just ask Becca. Although I'm not sure who tried to headbutt who first, but I'm pretty sure she assaulted me with a pippette first (it's in her nature).
A present for one of those friends I mentioned above who read my blog. I have the time to crochet a bear for her, but God forbid I finish her scarf. Although with the weather around here, who knows when she'll need it. Yesterday it was nearly 70 F, today it is like 30 F and miserably raining. I nearly said "moist", but alliteration and the word "moist" was too much for me to handle. But there I went and said it twice. "Moist" was on a Ravelry board about cussing and words that seem to be just as bad. There were a bunch of good knitting ones. "Gusset" was one of my favorites. I liked the thread because it seemed several people feel the same way I do. Any word can be a curse word. It is the meaning behind it. If I say "gusset" with the same intensity and tone as when I stub my toe and say "shit", it means the exact same thing. "Gusset" is just funnier and more original. And when your 3 year old says "gusset" to his grandma, she won't look at you as if you are a bad parent. Although she would probably wonder what the hell it meant.

And remember this yarn I made? I turned it into a hat. A very warm and snuggly hat. Sorta made up the pattern. Based on a very basic hat structure and added a brim by picking up stitches at the beginning. I also only made about 70 yards of yarn, so I needed something small to make. Which is what most of the yarn I make will turn into. Unless I blend them. I love wool, but I can wear it against my skin for about .5 milliseconds before I turn red and start scratching. Not an allergy, I'm just very sensitive to itchy things. I did get some Merino fiber for my next project. I'm still too much of a beginner for it. I dropped the spindle about 10 times before I decided I was going to have to blend it. So we will see how that spins up. I also got me a large ball of Alpaca. Now that I can wear against my skin. A nice fluffy scarf I think.



Oh, and again thanks to Ravelry, I have decided to call myself a fiber artist. Much easier when someone asks what crafts I do. Instead of listing knitting, crochet, loom knitting, spinning, felting, and needle felting I am just going to say fiber artist. I think all I have left to try is weaving and rug hooking (which I actually have done). Am I missing any others? I know it leaves out the scrapbooking, candymaking, sewing and other random crafts I've tried. But right now, my focus is making stuff with yarn and fiber. Maybe craft artist. Ooooo Craft Goddess. Now there is a title I can get behind.

1 comment:

Haley said...

I totally forgot what I was going to say. ..... .....um......

oh. My favorite dirty word that's not a dirty word but sounds naughty? Clapotis. Especially if you say it not french-like. I tell my husband I'm working on "the clap."

And yes. You are a fiber artist. You rock. :)