Zach was mocking me the other day when I got all excited that Dairy Queen had pumpkin pie blizzards. I decreed that it was therefore fall. He pointed out that yes it was October so it was fall. I feel that the return of fall is determined by food. It begins with the return of the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte. Then Cold Stone Creamery had pumpkin ice cream again. Then apple cider came back to the grocery stores and therefore Java Joint has hot apple cider again. The clincher was the pumpkin pie blizzard. So it is officially Fall. Yay!
Look I finished something. It is a cross stitched patch for my Halloween costume. Yay! I hate back stitching. But it has gotten me infatuated with cross stitch again. I want to make all sorts of subversive cross stitches. The contrast of a pretty flowery border with a completely foul and depraved message is pretty hilarious. I've been looking through this flickr group for inspiration.
The new Interweave Crochet magazine is out and I am very, very infatuated. I pretty much want to make everything in this issue. So I cast on for the socks. With this yarn.
I also have plans to make some fingerless mitts. I am in love with this yarn.I want a pair of elbow length mitts for work that do that long color fade. So I decided I would dye some fiber, make some batts to spin to make the yarn for them. Yeah, I make complicated plans. The fiber is dry now. But I managed to turn my hands bright pink. Very impressive. Yeah so that didn't work. I made the batts and spun up one of them. Loved the batt. I wanted to make a fingering weight single and well the batt didn't cooperate. Ended up very lumpy and bumpy. So I Navajo plied it to maintain the colors. I ended up with a worsted weight. One batt gave me about 100 yards. I am currently debating my choices. I don't really want heavier weight fingerless mitts. So I can spin up the other batt and try a lot harder to make it even and fingering weight and should end up with about 300 yards. Or I can do the same with the second batt as with the first and have 200 yards of worsted weight. I think I am leaning towards trying for another fingering weight. And to be honest, if it still doesn't cooperate, I can just Navajo ply to match. Although I wanted to speed up the color changes if I go for the single again so it won't quite match the first. But the yarn is super smooshy and lovely even if it isn't what I want. 
Now, I have finished other things, but a lot of them are presents for birthdays/Christmas. So I can't really show them off. Well except for this one. It is a present for Dana and she really shouldn't look. :) Imagine it in this yarn. I so hope she likes it.
Look I finished something. It is a cross stitched patch for my Halloween costume. Yay! I hate back stitching. But it has gotten me infatuated with cross stitch again. I want to make all sorts of subversive cross stitches. The contrast of a pretty flowery border with a completely foul and depraved message is pretty hilarious. I've been looking through this flickr group for inspiration.
I also have plans to make some fingerless mitts. I am in love with this yarn.


1 comment:
That will be one colorful hat in that yarn!
Post a Comment