Friday, October 16, 2009

Dangit!

I swear I miss it every year. October 7th was my 2 year blog anniversary. It is interesting to look back at some of those past entries. And this post will make number 195. I think post number 100 coincided pretty closely with my 1 year anniversary. Interesting. In the spirit of Haley, I think I might do a contest as well. Since I've completely missed the anniversary, I might try for post number 200. That way I'm not completely copying Haley and it will give me time to figure out a plan. Our Blog anniversarys are really close together (which is funny because we hadn't met at that point) and reading her post got me to thinking about how similar our lists are:
  • I didn't know how to knit (or spin or felt)
  • I had just picked up crocheting after forever not doing it and loom knitting as something new because I had burnt myself out on scrapbooking
  • I had a black cat named Ashes and a roommate named Steven
  • I had no idea how to keep a blog or what I would even talk about that would be interesting.
  • I started this to keep track of my projects (which for all I knew might suck until I figured it all out again) and assumed that the only people who would ever read it would be my mom and MIL. As I've mentioned before, I use Google Analytics because I like to see how many people read my stuff and how they find my blog (I know I'm a nerd). I noticed yesterday that my pattern blog had a huge spike on October 7th. Almost 90 people. Considering I average about 10 on that blog, I was intrigued to say the least. I was linked from http://www.whipup.net/. There are some awesome patterns and tutorials they have gathered. I was so excited they included my pattern in Halloween roundup. And who would have known 2 years ago I would be a pattern writer with patterns published somewhere other than my self-indulgent blog. And with other people actually making them. Considering I didn't know how to knit, writing knitting patterns seemed a little out of my league.
  • I have commitment issues, I've also discussed this. So I'm shocked I've kept not only with this blog, but with this hobby. Granted it is constantly evolving with the addition of loom knitting, regular knitting, felting and spinning to my fiber skills over the years, so I'm less likely to get bored. It also helps that pretty much my entire social life revolves around fiber. And some of my best friends have been made because of this blog. I started this blog and really got back into the fiber arts and found Ravelry. Through Ravelry I found my girls. I don't know what I would do without them.

So it is kind of fun to see where she's been and I've been. So stick with me, at least until I get to post 200. There might be something in it for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary! It is kinda weird that we both started blogging about the same time, both tried knitting about the same time, found Ravelry, and Stitch n Bitch all in the same month! Spoooooky.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your 2 years!

I am so greatful for Ravelry as well. If I had not found it I would not have found our group and would not have found you guys as friends. Ravelry is not only an enabler for projects but making friends too.