Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Dyeing, party of one

I build myself a small light box and decided to try it out on the alpaca I spun at the retreat. I tried to make it a worsted to bulky weight single. It is so soft and I got about 100 yds out of it. I'm not sure what I am going to make out of it. Any suggestions?





I was inspired to do a bit of dyeing. I got that lincoln roving at guild and I needed to separate my fleece. I also had the alpaca roving I got from Sheila at the Hawks Nest retreat. So I had myself a dyeing party.

I dyed the lincoln top I got. I sort of sprinkled the blue dye over it so that it left a lot of grey spaces. I call it my Ravenclaw roving.





This is the alpaca fiber I got from the Hawks Nest retreat. I dyed it with orange and burgandy. Lovely.





I also decided that the fleece needed put away and separated out. Since I was dyeing and washing fiber anyway, I thought I would try some of the fleece. The top left corner is the alpaca fiber I got at our retreat from snoeshoe farms. It needed washed. The top right are the fleece samples from Wool Growers.

The bottom mush of color is the bits of the fleece I dyed. The green, I used Wilson's Icing Dyes. The multicolored, I dropped into a pot and then opened up a package of easter egg dyes and dropped all the tablets in around the fleece. Fun times. Now I am just waiting on getting my carders at Maryland Sheep and Wool to blend them up.

No comments: