Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Trip to Athens (Ohio)

So for Halloween every year, Zach and I go to visit his brother and SIL in Athens, Ohio and take part in their annual Halloween block party. It is always a lot of fun. We mostly just go to hang out, see the costumes and listen to the bands (if they are any good). Mostly we just enjoy visiting. I failed miserably at getting good pictures this year. I didn't think to get any before we went out, well except for this one of Cain.















Doesn't he look thrilled to be wearing part of my costume. That wig is freakin huge. It was actually really warm this year. I thought this would lead to a lot more near-nakedness but it didn't really. The past couple years, I just remember being all huddled in my HP costume (with robe and gloves and scarf) and wondering how these people are walking around in clothing that covers less than a bathing suit and not freezing to death. But here is a fun crowd shot. I am unfortunately way to short to try to take these kinds of pictures. But this is one small street corner of the whole thing.


While were were in Athens, Lauren took me to The Tatting Corner. It is a little craft store that has quite a variety of stuff. Lots of quilting and sewing patterns. But as you can tell from the name, the owner is a tatter. So she had a nice variety of tatting threads. No needles, but she did have lots of bobbins. I have to say that now I've done needle tatting, I am very very very tempted to try it with a bobbin. My only hesitation is that I don't have someone to show me how and you can't take out your mistakes. Two things that could lead quickly to some mighty strong frustration.

I've been doing a lot of tatting. I love the look of the snowflakes and Haley let me borrow a book of celtic tatting designs so I am quite enamored. I have to thank Haley immensly for her help. You can learn stuff online, but there are things that they leave out or different people do different ways. Like, I wasn't pulling my tail all the way through my loops and chains so it was making my stitches to big and uneven and she pointed that out. She also helped me fix my "Reverse Works". Nothing I read mentioned that you needed to tie a knot after finishing each chain or loop or whatnot. Yeah that has helped immensly. So snaps for Haley! (I was watching Legally Blonde 2 last night)

Time has come to work mostly on Christmas presents. But as long as I keep tatting I'll have pictures to post. I might have a few things, but for the most part, I will have to keep them all secret. Maybe I can do teaser pics and only show like a couple inches or a real close up pic of it.

No comments: