Saturday, January 16, 2010

Fears

So it took a stranger on Ravelry trading me some yarn to get me over one of my biggest knitting fears. I've always been a might terrified of colorwork. Except duplicate stitch. I can do that. But real, honest to goodness colorwork was scary. Notice I say "was".

I received some Brown Sheep Handpainted originals yarn in stormy skies. It is a beautiful yarn. Aran weight with a nice halo to it thanks to the mohair. I knew pretty much right away that it would have to be a hat because of how PSA I am about stuff that can be irritating to my skin. But I didn't know what sort of hat would be worthy of such a yarn. I was worried that the 160-ish yards I had wouldn't be enough for a whole hat and that the dark and varigated color would overwhelm any pattern I tried. And then on Ravelry I was stalking some of my friends' projects and favorites and saw a faux fair isle hat. It used a solid yarn for the main color and a bright varigated yarn for the contrast color. You get all the colors of a very complicated fair isle pattern with much less work. Then AC Moore had some cream Soy Wool Solids on sale. It is the same weight and has a similar halo

So I was inspired. I found the pattern for Three Tams. I decided that Tam C was what I wanted. So...I cast on. After a little help on how to easily do corrugated ribbing from Wendy Knits, I found myself chugging along on this beautiful pattern. I cast on Thursday and I finished it tonight. It was slow going at the beginning, but I was getting so confident with it, I started using both hands. That really sped the process up. (there is even video of me using both hands) I'm so proud of myself I could explode. So without further ado...my pride and joy...

My new hat

3 comments:

Sam said...

Yay! It is so beautiful! See, didn't I tell you using both hands would help. ;)

Deeners said...

oh yes. Soooo much faster.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! (I almost wrote georgeous on that last one. A new word that I plan to use everywhere!)