Tuesday, June 2, 2009

So much done, and nothing finished

I am discovering that the best way to work though this slump is to just grab whatever looks good in my bag and go with it. So I am getting a little bit done on everything. But it means nothing is getting finished. So no pictures. I suppose I could take In-Progress pictures. But then it doesn't look as good as it will at the end. So you will have to live with just my words. I will attempt to be amusing.

Well, I did finish something last night. I repurposed some old fleece fabric and the rice from a different cold pack to make a new and improved version. I made it very long, so it can stretch all the way across my stupid back. And although I forgot to turn it so the seams were inside, I essentially sewed long sections to compartmentalize the rice so I wouldn't end up with big lumps and could lay on it. It looks pretty much like this one in theory, but not nearly as pretty or well sewn or fashionable. I was desperate and I didn't really care what mine looked like as long as it made my back cold. Also didn't take pictures. I guess it counts as a finished object. I'll see what I can do.

This weekend, I spent some time thinking about selling stuff on Etsy. It is sort of funny. I made some money from a pattern and realized (although I knew all along) that it essentially became money I could by stuff on. It wasn't planned on so it won't go to bills or groceries. I think it would be excellent to turn it into my fun money. I won't feel deprived of buying the pretties, but I don't feel irrisponsible buying stuff I don't really need. So I worked on some of my needle cases. I have quite a few designed I just need to put them together. I think I have decided to sew to reinforce the edges. I have decided upon a closure for them finally. (Haley, I can kidnap yours back and use yours as the prototypes if you like). I also came up with my list of things I can sell, what do you think?
1. DPN/Crochet hook cases
2. Straight needle cases
3. Circular needle cases
4. Sewing needle books
5. Felted animals (maybe, I need to work on designs)
6. Felt Balls/Beads
7. Patterns I design (I need to get on writing up some ideas)
8. DNA earrings (hey, these are a finished object, I could take pics of these, would also sell the pattern)
9. Sets of my scrubbies (they are the only thing I have ever enjoyed making multiples of, and they work up super fast)

I think that was all I had come up with so far. I got a book on felting from the library so I was going to look at it and see if there were any techniques I could play with. I don't think I have the proper space to do a lot of big felt work.

No comments: