Friday, July 18, 2008

Fiber Apostle

So I was going to have this fun post about how I have become a fiber apostle while out running errands today... But my Loop batts just arrived. I'm gonna go spin. I'll tell you the funny story later. :)

STORY ADDED:

So since we had Friday off, it became designated as Errand Day. So I made plans to get my car inspected (past due of course, but I had originally been scheduled to do it before it ran out, but I forgot my insurance card). Since I was up that way, and my ring needed inspected, I would run to the mall and do that. And I needed some fabric for VBS robes. Something light, because all the fabric I had probably would have killed me after about 10 minutes of being in the sun.

So I started with Joann's. I found some great fabric. Very excited. I also found some very interesting felt by the yard. It is embossed with designs. I got blue with a fleur-de-lis pattern and magenta with a sort of floral design. It looks very cool and mostly I just want to play around with it to see how it will look as needle cases. Plus it was $2.00 a yard. Yay. I also picked up a remnant piece of their wool/nylon blend felt. I want to see how it compares and to see if it is worth the extra $3.00 a yard. They didn't have any 100% wool though. So I take these huge bolts of felt to get cut and the lady asks what I am doing with it. So I tell her I do needle felting and make needle cases out of it. So she asks me what needle felting is. And about 5 minutes later I stop talking. Some how we get on the topic of spinning and she mentions how her friend used to have a buffalo farm and would spin their fiber. She said when they shed their winter coats she used to walk along the fences and pick off huge pieces that they would rub off. **drool** I seriously need to make some friends who have fiber animals (who don't use their fur).

Then I went to get my ring cleaned/inspected at the mall. As I was waiting, I overhear two of the sales associates talking about yarn and crocheting. So I start sidling over to them. They ask if I want to see anything and I confess that I can actually heard them talking about yarn and was curious. Well, one of the girls says she was wanting to learn how to knit and was trying to find a place to learn. "Well," I say. "There is a SnB that meets every Thursday at the Java Joint by Marshall. We are mostly a younger group (she was college age-ish) and we are glad to teach anyone whatever they want to learn. There are people who crochet, knit, spin, loom knit, cross stitch...pretty much any kind of stitching. And there are some girls who just come for the bitching part." And again 5 minutes later I pause to take a breath. I even managed to get info about Ravelry in there. Spreading the good word.

And then, while I was sitting in the waiting room on my car, I was knitting. And the older ladies next to me asked what I was doing. So I was talking about knitting and making Christmas presents, and how knitting can be good for your hands (keeping them moving and such).

So I feel like I properly represented the wide world of fiber arts. I left all the spinning to Aimee. She was representin' at SnB with her wheel out. She had several people stop and try to figure out what she was doing and she did a good job of demonstrating and explaining at the same time.

So that is why I felt like a fiber apostle, meaning an ardent supporter of a cause or movement [Greek apostolos a messenger].

2 comments:

goodnessgraciousWV said...

Fiber Apostle?? I wanna know!

I got the loom built, so now I just have to figure out how to set up "shop" tomorrow!

grace :)
http://goodnessgraciouswv.wordpress.com

Haley said...

Taking over the world, one city at a time!

muwhahahahaaaaa

p.s. I knit a squirrel jacket sleeve. Squeeee!