Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Waiting

I was waiting until a certain surprise event was over so I could post what I have finished recently. I made this lovely item for Haley's birthday. I am so happy about how he turned out (Haley, I agree it is a he). The pattern for the dragon is from here. Very easy pattern. Of course being small, it can be a bit fiddly, but so worth it. I decided that this guy needed a little something extra. So I made a base for him from sculpy and painted it to look like a burnt out tree. I think I am actually a bit more proud of how the tree turned out. Although I did have to do some emergency patchwork. I didn't have any tinfoil for armature so it is all clay. It got a bit droopy in the oven and cracked in a few places. And look, I have finally finished a project with this yarn. After a very long time and about 3 or 4 different pattern ideas for this thing, it is finally complete and serving its purpose of keeping me warm at work. The pattern I finally settled on and finished was Eva's Shawl. It is a great pattern. Very simple with three repeat rows and two of them are pretty much the same thing. It is made with 3 balls of Frog Tree brushed suri alpaca yarn. It is super warm. I had just enough yarn to do one round of the edging. I like it. I was almost tempted to go see if I could find another ball to make it bigger. But I like the size it turned out. If I ever do want it longer though, it is crochet. Easy to undo the edge and keep going. Or I can just get more lace yarn and make another shawl. And if you ever need a cake, I have the perfect recommendation for you. The Java Joint. This is Haley's birthday cake and yes it is a basket of yarn. Oh it was so cute and so yummy. Love!
Oh and I'm not the only one in my family who is famous. If you would like your very own calendar with Heidi in it, feel free to pick up a copy of 365 days of Dog Fancy Wall calendar and take a gander at May 9th. Which is also mother's day and 4 days after Heidi's birthday.

No comments: