Tuesday, April 12, 2011

April Showers had better bring May flowers

So much rain recently. It has led to lots of days where I just want to curl up on the couch and sleep or read the day away. I am jealous of the animals since they get to do just that. But they look cute so I can't begrudge them their day long naps.


But I see hope around the corner. The occasional beautiful spring day. A hint of those May flowers. At least the trees are starting to show off their leaves. It definitely makes the rainy days less gloomy. So what have I been doing with my rainy days since I'm not sleeping or reading them away. I've been sewing like a crazy person. I had an event last week and guild retreat this week that I am selling stuff out. Just the motivation I needed to get some new stock for the Etsy store. So I've made a ton more bags. I think around 20 new bags, more needle rolls and a bunch of these guys. They are going to be my alternative to my pyramid shaped notions bags. These Notions Pouches fasten with velcro. They could hold stitch markers and darning needles. But they are also wide enough to hold onto your business cards. Or if you aren't a crafter, they would make a nice change pouch.

I think I mentioned that I designated March as a WIP month. That has continued on to April. I finally finished a hat I've been working on for a while. Unfortunately you don't get to see it. I am hoping to submit it to some pattern publications and they don't want you to put up pictures. So you have to made do with a picture of the swatch I did for it.

So Craft Magazine's blog had a very, very cute tutorial about makeing a book clutch that doesn't destroy a book. And as fate would have it, Penguin recently released some classics with new covers that had been embroidered. I love them. So of course I had to put these two together. I need to work on the finished bag. I used a VHS case instead of a DVD case. Zach said it looked like a VHS case. I think I need to make the insert bigger; I can see too much of the black on the edges. And I think I am going to paint the sides so that they aren't black. I found a few other VHS cases during my hunt so I'll try this again. Not that I carry a clutch, like ever. But it was just too cute to pass up.

Silly me, I almost forgot. A friend of mine has started up a fiber arts magazine. It is called Entangled. It is all online. The first issue is available for free. I highly recommend it. It isn't a bunch of patterns. It really focuses on stories and shops and the emotions behind the crafts many of us do. And the pictures are scrumptious. I need to get ahold of some perendale.

1 comment:

The Frizzy Hooker said...

I am both excited about spring and frightened. I have one more month of careful living in order to be free and clear of a possible sinus infection.
At my job, there are geese and ducks. I like seeing them floating along the river that runs through the campus. I am jealous of their quiet contemplation. I will check out the link and your etsy page. Good luck on those WiPs